Last weekend I posted about the idea of making hard tack but adding some quinoa and amaranth for extra protein and other nutrients. Tonight I made some.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup quinoa
- ½ cup amaranth
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of salt (I used pink Himalayan, but I'm sure any kind would do)
- Mix the flour and grains in a bowl
- Add water and mix together
- Roll out on a floured surface until about ¼" thick
- Transfer to a baking sheet, score in squares (perhaps 1" or 2" squares), and prick with a fork
- Bake in a 250 °F oven for 90 minutes
The idea is to find a balance of ingredients that will taste good, keep for a long time without going rancid, and that will have nutrients that will keep us going on our 100-mile hike in May.
Post a Comment